Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Backpack

This is a good shot of the backpacks from the show. I have not been able to find exact replicas of these, but the closest I have come is the backpack below, as recommended by several Stargate uniform sites.

It is possible that this backpack is the one used on the show, but modified with extra packs. You can see the canteen holder on the right side as well. It might also be the image above, from Season 1, is not the same backpack as was used in later episodes. As I slowly move through the DVDs doing screencaps and attempting to recreate the uniforms, I'll let you know what I find out.

In any event, this pack is pretty close.

The above image is an example of the BlackHawk Special Operations Day Pack. You can find the following description at this website: www.copsplus.com, but you won't find the backpacks. They are discontinued and out of stock.

The BlackHawk day pack is the ideal way to carry your gear directly on your vest or H-harness. Made of 1000D Nytaneon nylon. The back of the pack has 3/8" closed cell foam for added comfort and flotation, if used in maritime situations. Formed elastic on the bottom of the pack holds extra gear.

Now, as of today, I did find the packs in both OD and Black at this site: www.rstacticalgear.com

The packs are are around $60 each. You'll need to buy the H-harness separately, though usually the packs are attached to the tac vest in later episodes. I ordered one tonight from them, will let you know if it arrives or I get a back order notice.

In the pilot, however, it is clear that the H-harness is woodland camo. This leads me to believe that the backpack in the pilot is similar to the one I just purchased moments ago on eBay:

I think given the other "off the rack" surplus of the uniforms in the pilot before SG Teams were formed and they got their own patches and uniforms, it is a safe bet that what Carter and O'Neill are wearing is a standard Alice pack with frame in woodland camo and a 3-color desert camo cover drawn over the pack. Fortunately for me, in my very cheap eBay purchase, the camo cover comes with!

I consulted with my friend, the one who spurred on this new wave of doing stuff for Science Fiction, who has a military background.

He told me the technical name for the cover is "desert backpack cover".

Smarty.

You can probably find them easily at most surplus stores or a Google search. I'm told they make excellent spare tire covers for your Jeep. Not having a Jeep, I'll take that on faith, but seems like a good idea!

I got it for $20 with $14 shipping from A-Z Army Navy Military Surplus

5 comments:

Col. Shandar said...

Very depressing. RSTactical is out of the backpacks, won't be restocking them.

In related depressing news, the dealer from whom I won the auction for the Alice Pack with camo cover stopped being a registered user before I could complete the payment for the auction. I sent a check by mail to the payment address, but who knows if the check will be cashed or if I'll get the pack and stuff? I called the number and got their answering machine...so, at least they have an answering machine.

I really hope I get a backpack.

Stargatery is so darn difficult!

Col. Shandar said...

Excellent news! Got the pack and all is really nice. Time is very tight right now, as the wife and I are moving into a new house, but once we are settled, I'll be working on the SG costumes in earnest!

Tee Chess said...

Backpack really helps a lot while one is traveling. Also I am not very much satisfied with my backpack and want to change it.
Source winter hydration pack  

Anonymous said...

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! Nike Backpacks

Phillip Kotler said...

It is essential to transport your guns, ammo and accessories from one location to another, especially if your passion for shooting has grown. Your gear should be safe and organized with enough space for your accessories, such as optics and ear protection. Range bags are a great solution. Range bags are designed to transport firearms safely and securely. There are many range bags on the market, so finding the right one for you can be challenging.